Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Cross Examination


The first thing they teach you about cross examination is that you should never ask a question unless you already know the answer.

This tip can come in pretty handy for life. Learn as much about the situation as possible before diving in. Know exactly what you are going to say and be ready for what you expect their answer to be. Of course, if they stray from the answer you have multiple options including impeaching them and making them stick to the original information you were presented with before.

Unfortunately, there isn't always a judge to keep a witness in line in real life.

The more I learn about the given situation the more I learn that more information pretty much only leads to more confusion. More questions and too many answers to fathom.

My entire case relies upon one stupid question. It doesn't matter how many witnesses I call, how much evidence I present, or if I am able to convince everyone else in the room I am right. If my cross doesn't go as planned the best I can do is try to settle.

1 comment:

  1. You can try and settle in court, but life and lawyering rarely acheive the same end...

    Elle Woods should have taught you that.

    ReplyDelete