Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Steel Death Trap


Buffy, my 97 Honda Accord, little and sassy, able to power through Mesaba to Perkins during a raging Blizzard has officially hit teenage hormones. One day she will be just fine, the next she will refuse to start.

Everything in my life seems to fall apart leaving me in the position of damsel in distress more often than I would like to admit. It's hard to pretend to be an assertive independent women when you depend on a pack of boys to fix your life. At least I only depend on 3 of them opposed to 7 and I'm not lying around paleface in some glass coffin. Dopey, my mechanic regularly informs me of what is wrong with my car. Bashful, fixes my cupboards and furniture on a regular basis. Grumpy, he has resorted to fixing my plumbing. Hopefully, Prince Charming makes an appearance here pretty soon.

Prince Charming? Huh? Ever noticed that Prince Charming lacks personality or any deep characterization. At least dwarfs get a defining adjective besides charming. I don't know if I could spend 80 years with Mister Perfect . A weekend in Connecticut might be nice, but nothing beyond that. Dorian Gray was suppose to be "Prince Charming" but he drove a woman to suicide. Fitting considering what the guy would be now adays. Tall, dark, and handsome? I think I'd rather have short, scrawny, and pale. At least his deep seated complexes from middle school will keep him around rather than the hot, charming, narcissistic jerk.

Sometimes it would be easier if we all could just stick to one defining adjective. I could get Sleepy a pillow and Sneezy some Claritan and be good to go. Maybe that's where fairy tales lead us astray. We "princesses in trainings" learn that date worthy men are either villains or heroes. Sidekicks are the flawed. The nerdy, silly, goofy, and geeky personified by poor eyesight and high ACT scores who are good at teaching you how to fix your computer. Too bad my Grimm fables didn't let on that those boys would eventually be heading off to law or med school and that the cute boys would be community college dropouts with beer guts working at Taco John's.

Maybe Sleeping Beauty needs to wake up, fix her Honda, and take a look around at her dwarfs instead of waiting on some knight with a white Mustang.

No comments:

Post a Comment